My 50th Birthday! 50 down 50 to go!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"The Middle Place"


Today is April 15, 2008 and I just finished readying the book "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan and wanted to share my feelings. " The Middle Place is about calling home. Instinctively. Even when all the paperwork--a marriage license, a notarized deed, two birth certificates and seven years of tax returns--clearly indicates you're an adult, but all the same, there you are, clutching the phone and thanking God that you're still somebody's daughter" (words by Kelly Corrigan)
It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me remember what going through breast cancer was all about. It's kind of ironic, but we must have been going through breast cancer about the same time during the years of 2004-05. It made me remember how I loved my husband and my girls, my family and my friends for helping me through that difficult time. It made me think of my Dad and how much I love him and appreciate his sense of humor. It made me remember times of growing up and silly things I'd forgotten about. It made me remember my Mom and wish she were still here to share things with. It helped me to remember that I'm still not out of the woods and that my cancer can come back and how much I want to enjoy the life I have. Towards the end it made me face thinking about a funeral for my own Dad and how difficult that will be. It made me cry and love my family all so very much. It made me cry and truly appreciate that I am still somebodies daughter. After I finished reading the book, with tears streaming down my face, I instinctively picked up the phone and called my Dad. He wasn't home which was probably a good thing because I could hardly even talk to leave him a message and tell him how much I love and miss him. I did call and talk to him later and told him how much I loved him and how grateful I was for having such a great Dad. What a book on so many different levels.

No comments: